Congrats to Region 5 leaders and chapters

Region 5 chapters and leaders received numerous awards at the Excellence in Journalism 2011 Conference in New Orleans.

Al Cross, former Region 5 Director and SPJ national president in 2001-2002, received the Wells Key, the Society’s highest honor.

Tara Puckey, founding president of the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis SPJ chapter who also served two years as a student representative on the national board, received the Julie Galvan Outstanding Graduate in Journalism Award. The award is based on character, service to the community, scholarship, proficiency in practical journalism and contributions to the student’s SPJ chapter.

The Chicago Headline Club was named the national large chapter of the year and the DePaul University chapter was named the national student chapter of the year.

The Chicago Headline Club also took home three Circle of Excellence awards in the FOI, diversity and professional development categories.

Region 5 four-year universities won first place in three categories of the national Mark of Excellence contest:

Best Affiliated Website–wkuherald.com, Herald Staff, College Heights Herald, Western Kentucky University

Best Independent Online Student Publication–North by Northwestern, North by Northwestern Staff, Northwestern University

Online News Reporting–“CampusCrime.net,” CampusCrime.net Staff, CampusCrime.net, University of Illinois

One more distinction for Region 5: Three of the 12 student staff members selected for The Working Press, the conference’s daily newspaper, attend universities in Region 5. The are Mary Barczak, Eastern Kentucky University; Corinne Chin, Northwestern University; and Olivia Ingle, Butler University.

Congratulations to all!

Visit website [opens in new window]