Ethics and Cookies at Ball State

The Ball State University chapter sweetened its discussion of ethical dilemmas with two “Cookies and Ethics” programs in April 2010. The events were funded by a Region 5 Campus Chapter Programming Grant. Here’s the chapter’s description of the programs:

The April 1 session focused on the use of euphemisms in writing. Faculty adviser Renée Petrina’s presentation focused on specific examples of commonly used euphemisms in journalistic writing. While enjoying cookies and milk, attendees discussed the repercussions of such incidents and participated in an activity involving the identification of commonly used euphemisms. The National Association of Black Journalists was a co-promoter of the event.

The April 29 session focused on ethical issues within the journalism industry. Chapter president Megan Faulkner led discussion about junkets, “infotainment,” school-sponsored student media and numerous other ethical dilemmas pertaining to the field of journalism. Students were provided with free cookies and milk during the hour and a half discussion. The Ball State Daily News and various other student publications were represented at the event.