EIJ15, one photo at a time

EIJ15 was a whirlwind of words, words and more words. I’ll get to those soon — but today, 48 hours after re-entry to the Day Job — the best I can manage is a photo mash-up, with cutlines below. Great to see so many Region 4 SPJers in Orlando — and to see so many recognized for their good work!

EIJ15

Row 1: Sue Porter, vice president at the Scripps Howard Foundation in Cincinnati, took home SPJ’s highest honor, the prestigious Wells Key Award. Former SPJ President Hagit Limor, right in photo, serves on the SDX board with Porter. The Columbus Dispatch and Student Press Law Center won the Eugene Pulliam First Amendment Award for their work on campus crime coverage.

Row 2: Ohio University SPJ chapter adviser Nerissa Young won recognition as the David L. Eshelman Outstanding Campus Adviser, while OU senior Kate Hiller won election as one of two student representatives to the SPJ National Board. Cincinnati chapter president Tom McKee of WCPO-TV, with wife Claudia, was honored as one of two pro members of the year.

Row 3: Miami of Ohio students Brett Milam, Alyssa Sato and Ariel Wiley traveled to Orlando with me to up their SPJ cred. Otterbein 360 and adviser Hillary Warren won an SPJ Sunshine Award for their successful battle to open police records at their central Ohio campus.

Row 4 and 5: My four panels — Suicide & Sources; Covering Ferguson & Baltimore; A Rape on Campus; and Covering Cuba — drew respectable crowds despite heavy competition. Happy to see University of Cincinnati prof, SPJ adviser and fellow Cuba traveler Jenny Wohlfarth (center in final photo) at the Cuba session.

Note: Other Region 4 winners included the Cleveland chapter, recognized with a Circle of Excellence Award for its communication outreach, and the OU chapter, recognized as Region 4 student chapter of the year.