Annual report observations (students)

Some items of interest as I reviewed this year’s Region 2 annual reports for campus chapters:

Appalachian State University:

• The chapter worked with the university’s student publication to host a conversation about First Amendment rights on and off campus.
  • It raised $137 by collecting a percentage of profits at a restaurant one evening.
  • It held a screening of “Spotlight.”

Elon University:

• It was a transition year as the school’s broadcast and print entities merged into one, called Elon News Network. The SPJ chapter is getting a makeover, too.
  • What better way to re-emerge than by hosting the next Region 2 conference? It will be April 7 and 8, 2017, at Elon.

George Mason University:

• The chapter had a lengthy list of programs, including visits to the Newseum and WTOP radio, numerous speakers, a career media panel and a résumé workshop.
  • It used a wide range of methods for communication, including a listserv, email, kiosks, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and word of mouth.
  • Its FOI program was a kiosk in which visitors answered a question: What does FOI mean to you? Prizes were given out.

High Point University:

• It attracted a good crowd for a First Amendment Free Food Festival.
  • At a joint program with a local chapter of the Public Relations Society of America, hosted a public relations person from Krispy Kreme. (yum)
  • Heard from a TV news producer (who has since become communications manager for the Downtown Raleigh Alliance)

James Madison University:

• Held a screening of a professor’s documentary about cerebral palsy
  • An ethics program covered difficult reporting situations — approaching victims, consequences
  • Bylaws have clear, detailed descriptions of the responsibilities of the officers on the board

Salisbury University:

• Sent its entire executive board to both EIJ 15 and this year’s Region 2 conference
  • Had a record year for fundraising at local establishments
  • Journalism service projects included a food drive and participating in a school recycling drive

University of Maryland:

• Held three blood drives
  • A wide variety of programs included movie screenings, résumé and cover letter critiques, a look at comics journalism and newsroom tours.
  • Raised money by busing tabes, working the grill and tending bar at a cookout at the dean’s house for faculty. The dean donated $300 to the chapter for EIJ costs.

Virginia Commonwealth University:

• Held diversity programs during Hispanic, Native American, Black and Women’s history months.
  • Planned programs at Region 2 conference; the chapter was a co-host.
  • Co-hosted a town hall on the Virginia Senate election

Virginia Tech:

• The chapter, which held six programs during the annual report period, is looking at long-term growth: “Strategic focus has been to position ourselves for long-term growth: conserving resources, boosting recruitment, retaining current members and developing mutually beneficial relationships with other individuals, leaders and organizations.”

Washington & Lee University:

• Went from one member to 18 members (!)
  • Supported two ethics institutes held by the journalism department
  • Held programs on portfolios and getting jobs after graduation

Western Carolina:

• Its fundraisers were a T-shirt sale and a chili cookoff
  • Held programs on “New Tools in Communication” and “How to Freelance.”
  • Bylaws also have an openness clause: “All membership meetings and programs of the WCU SPJ shall be on the record and open to coverage by any or all communications media on an equal basis.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,