Get with the program

The first SPJ $500 grant deadline of 2013-14 is upon us (today, Oct. 1). That gives you two months to apply in the next cycle (deadline Dec. 1).

If you’re in charge of programming and activities for your chapter, but not sure what to plan, feel free to borrow.

Here are samples of programs for which 10 chapters were honored last year.

In the First Amendment/FOI category, the winner for small chapters was our own Virginia Pro:

Small: The Virginia Pro chapter took to the halls of the Virginia legislature, distributed guest opinion columns to newspapers in support of a campus newspaper repressed by college officials and held programming to help educate members on freedom of information issues.

Virginia Pro also was honored in the Campus Relations/Scholarship category:

Small: The Virginia Pro chapter awarded two cash scholarships for the 51st year and gave grants to members of campus chapters in Virginia to cover the cost of registration to EIJ.

Programming is at the heart of SPJ chapters’ work. We can and should learn from each other.

I’ll keep my eye open for programs that are informative, fun, easy, and/or eye-catching and occasionally post them on this blog. Please share ideas with me and the region when you think they’re cool.

Tags: , , , , ,