TV and radio and terrorism

The fifth one…

When Nora Baldner heard about Muslimedia, she had an unconventional idea: Make it a centerpiece at the annual convention of the Illinois News Broadcasters Association.

That’s what happened in October in Quincy, Illinois. Baldner, a professor and adviser of the student newspaper at Quincy University, called it “the most impactful session of the weekend.” Here’s how she described it…

Reporters said they were changed by the experience and changed the way they wrote stories when they returned to their newsrooms. It was gratifying that a small gathering in Quincy with reporters and Muslims had a direct impact on national news reporting. We were able to hold a panel discussion, share a meal, and observe mid-day prayers.

One of those reporters was Cheri Preston, a morning anchor for ABC Radio who’s heard around the country.

“Sometimes, we automatically say it’s a Muslim extremist, an Islamic terrorist, rather than just saying it was a terrorist or an extremist,” Preston said. “So I think that conversations like this – one-on-one with individuals, especially in smaller towns all around the country – are really very helpful.”

Whatever the size of your town, you can win a grant to Muslimedia. Contact us.

comments powered by Disqus