Lee Anne Peck of Colorado is our October Volunteer of the Month

Congratulations to Lee Anne Peck of the Journalism and Mass Communications Program at the University of Northern Colorado. For her contributions to high school journalism research, she is being honored with our Volunteer of the Month award!

She was nominated by Becky Tallent, who told us that Lee has been the backbone of the Journalism Education Committee‘s research on high school journalism. Becky teaches at the School of Journalism and Mass Media at the University of Idaho. Both are members of the Journalism Education Committee.

Here’s what Becky had to say in her nomination:lee_anne_peck

For the past three years the J-Ed Committee has been investigating the state of high school journalism in America. It all started when (former SPJ president) John Ensslin asked if we had heard some high schools were closing their journalism programs.  Last winter, Lee Anne wrote a survey that we sent to 600 high school teachers across the country. Very few of us on the committee had ever conducted this type of research, and it was Lee who kept us on-track and fought really hard to keep the survey and its results pristine. She worked with the statistician to tease out the results.
In addition, she wrote or co-wrote six chapters, a hard look at the survey (how we did it) and results (it took two chapters to give the results), a chapter on legal issues plus the intro, conclusion and the annotated bibliography. She tried to get us a grant and did find for us a spectacular graphic artist who crafted our graphs. She also made the entry with the Journalism Education Association for us, which was no small feat, and got them to sell us their mailing list for the survey.  The book will be published by New Forums Press in January.
She did all this while teaching full time, carrying on her own research load and advising students at the University of Northern Colorado.
It is not an understatement to say we could not have finished the book in a timely manner without her work on the survey. While I handled all the other details of the project, Lee was my right hand tackling the most complex issue, which was the survey.

Here’s Lee Anne’s biography from the University of Northern Colorado web site.

Lee Anne Peck has taught English, journalism and communication courses since 1988.  Before coming to the University of Northern Colorado in 2003, she was an assistant professor of international communications at Franklin College Switzerland, an American college in Lugano. Over the years, she has advised three student newspapers.

Peck’s professional experience began in 1976 as a correspondent for the Moline (Ill.) Daily Dispatch. After graduating with her bachelor’s degree, she edited then managed the regional Choice Magazine of the Front Range. In the mid-1980s, she edited and wrote for publications in Indiana and Delaware. She has worked for the Fort Collins Coloradoan as an editor, a columnist and a writing coach, and worked for the former Rocky Mountain News as a copy editor.

While pursuing her master’s in journalism studies in Florida, she worked at the Tampa Tribune’s online product, Tampa Bay Online, one of the first online newspaper sites in the United States. In 1998, before moving to Ohio to do her Ph.D. coursework, she worked for Microsoft’s online publication, Denver Sidewalk.  Peck began freelancing in the late 1970s and continues to do free-lance editing, writing and public relations work.

In 2007, she was awarded a Fulbright grant to teach at the University of Dubrovnik, Croatia.  While there, she researched the status of the news media in the former Yugoslavia, a topic that continues to be a research interest.  Her main research focuses on all aspects of media ethics. She recently co-edited a book with Guy Reel of Winthrop University titled Media Ethics at Work: True stories of young professionals, published by CQ Press, an imprint of Sage. She has contributed chapters to media ethics textbooks and has presented and published paper on the subject.

At UNC, Peck teaches public relations, magazine and news writing courses, and the media ethics course.

Congratulations to Lee! Lee was a member of SPJ’s ethics committee, international committee and currently serves on the Journalism Education committee. She is one of five ethics consultants who answers calls with the Chicago Headliner Chapter’s national Ethics Adviceline for Journalists (http://ethicsadvicelineforjournalists.org/)

Lee is a member of the Colorado Pro chapter. She has been a member of SPJ since 1992.

Do you know of an outstanding SPJ volunteer? Nominate them for Volunteer of the Month by contacting Susan Stevens, Membership Committee member, at Susanstevens@aol.com. Please tell us briefly why you are nominating the person and why you think they are worthy of recognition. Nominations are due the 5th of each month and announced by the 15th.

Tags: , , , ,