Going viral

Boost your readership by 77,000.

If you’re a sleep-deprived and stressed-out college journalist covering COVID-19, the Society of Professional Journalists and Associated Collegiate Press applaud you. But we want you to receive a standing ovation.

Enter the CCC Awards here. It’s free.

The prize is the nation’s eyes upon you. Each week, SPJ will share the most compelling college coverage with its 72,000 Twitter followers, while ACP will do the same with its 5,000 followers. Weekly winners also receive a free one-year SPJ membership.

While SPJ and ACP commend the professional journalists scrambling to inform their readers and viewers during this unprecedented time, we recognize the added burdens you face covering COVID-19 on your campus and in your community.

“As a pro journalist who’s worked closely with student journalists, I know how hard both jobs can be, especially during a crisis,” says SPJ Awards chair Sue Kopen Katcef, who retired last year after two decades of teaching at University of Maryland’s j-school and directing three student newscasts per week.

Kopen Katcef is currently covering COVID-19 for Maryland Public Television. She observes…

I’ve worked side by side – with enough social distancing – with some amazing pro journalists these past few weeks. In an era when we hear constant accusations of fake news, I’ve seen nonstop commitment at great personal risk. But I also know the impossible pressure students face trying to juggle online classes with family obligations – and for little or no pay. Many students support themselves with retail and restaurant jobs that don’t exist right now. I don’t know how they’re doing it.

SPJ and ACP want to know how you’re doing it. Enter the CCC Awards now.

For our debut, you can enter any COVID-19 coverage published through this Friday, March 27. After that, we’ll continue on a weekly schedule – so on April 3, you can enter anything published from March 28 to April 3. Basically, every Friday is your new deadline.

If you win, we’d love to interview you in a post much like this one. We can also offer you a CCC Award “badge” for your website, designed to your specs.

Questions about any of this, holler.

comments powered by Disqus

Twitter Facebook RSS Instagram LinkedIn

317/927-8000 • Fax: 317/920-4789 • Contact SPJ HeadquartersEmployment OpportunitiesAdvertise with SPJ