October 27th, 2009
More Job News: St. Louis, Chicago, Nebraska
By Holly Edgell
Crain Communications (Chicago)
Section Editor/Deputy Managing Editor
Crain’s Chicago Business is looking for an experienced editor to oversee the upfront news section of our local business weekly. Reporting to the editor, this position manages a team of reporters covering a full range of industry beats. The editor hired for the position will work with other news and graphics editors to produce a weekly upfront news section filled with high-impact stories on the people and events that shape Chicago business, told in the distinctive voice of Crain’s Chicago Business. Each upfront section must provide the market-leading coverage that makes Crain’s the definitive source of Chicago business news, with a mix of scoops, personality features and sophisticated, forward-looking analysis for our audience of business, political and civic leaders.
The position requires:
- Top-flight news judgment and feature-writing skills, along with the ability to shape and polish stories quickly under deadline pressure.
- Fertile mind for story ideas that will grab our readers’ attention and set the agenda for business news in Chicago.
- A flair for provocative headlines and eye-catching story presentation is critical.
- A thorough knowledge of business and financial concepts.
- Experience managing reporters and beat coverage in a competitive news environment.
- Other important aspects of the job are: developing video and other online elements for upfront stories, some Web editing, and close interaction with the graphics and copy desks.
- Minimum five years of solid newsroom experience.
- Bachelors degree
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment.
To apply for this position please visit our website at www.crain.com and search under the Careers section. Please include salary requirements along with cover letter and resume for consideration.
We thank you for your interest in Crain Communications and invite you to visit our website as positions are updated regularly. Crain Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
Investigative Reporter (3-5 years experience)
We are looking for an experienced investigative reporter with the skills and drive to expose fraud, corruption and injustice. We’re looking for someone who can develop sources throughout the region, pull the thread on the most promising leads and pursue stories that will make a difference in our readers’ lives.
We’re looking for a graphic artist to specialize in data visualization. This new hybrid role will work with the multimedia, graphics and computer assisted reporting teams to produce data visualizations and other interactive experiences — both on deadline and for larger cross-platform projects.
Nebraska Life Magazine
We seek candidates with photography experience for our busy statewide magazine and publishing company.
The winning candidate will work with editors, designers, writers, fellow photographers and the great people of Nebraska to document the people, places, events, lifestyles, nature and culture of our great state through high quality photographs, videos and stories. This photographer will also do some writing and should be comfortable writing and with some skill.
To search for a job or post a job opening, check out the SPJ job bank!