Drake, Iowa State, Mizzou, Missouri Southern, St. Louis & Johnson County community colleges named national MOE winners, finalists
By Kelsey Volkmann | May 3rd, 2011
Congratulations to students from Drake, Iowa State, University of Missouri, Missouri Southern State, St. Louis Community College and Johnson County Community College who were named national winners and finalists Tuesday in the Mark of Excellence competition.
This year, student journalists submitted almost 4,000 entries. National Mark of Excellence Award judges choose one national winner in each category and two national finalists (runners-up).
First-place national winners will be recognized at the Excellence in Journalism 2011 conference Sept. 25-27 in New Orleans and showcased on SPJ’s website.
The national winners and finalists from Region 7 are:
• National Finalist: Students Mourn Death – by Sarah Andrews, Drake University.
• National Finalist: Cyclone Stampede: Kickin’ Up Dust – by Kelsey Kremer, Iowa State University.
Non-Fiction Magazine Article
• National Finalist: Beltway Beginnings – by Catherine Newhouse, University of Missouri.
• National Finalist: Brennan Stebbins, Missouri Southern State University.
Online Feature Reporting
• National Finalist: Battle Over Judge Retention In Iowa – by Tyler Kingkade, Iowa State University.
Television General News Reporting
• National Winner: New Signs for Boomer Eyes – by Jennifer Meckles, University of Missouri.
Television In-Depth Reporting
• National Finalist: Target 8: Fulton State Hospital – by Jennifer Meckles & Scott Schaefer, University of Missouri.
Television News Photography
• National Finalist: Winter Delivery – by John Henry, University of Missouri
Two-Year College/University Winners & Finalists
General News Reporting
• National Winner: The Forgotten Genocide – by Eric Aikin, Joseph Douglas, Andrea Royals & Anna Nowotny, St. Louis Community College at Meramec.
• National Winner: K.C. Pedicabs – by Jason Gould, Johnson County Community College.