SPJ’s inside baseball: a hit!

Star ranking systems.

Annual report requirements.

Inactive chapters vs. deactivated chapters.

If you don’t know what any of this means, you haven’t served on SPJ’s national board of directors. I have – twice. And even with a year in between my terms, these same boring topics have been discussed to death both times.

SPJ is obsessed with its own inside baseball. I realize every organization – especially one as large and as old (and yes, as lovable) as SPJ – needs to handle its mundane logistics. But SPJ tends to debate this stuff without truly resolving it.

It’s no one’s fault, really. It just sorta happens with a 23-member board. But now I can proudly report: One officer is fixing one problem, and that might show SPJ how to hit others out of the park.

The pros and contests

If you’ve ever organized an SPJ chapter’s contest, you know the agony of buying the easiest/cheapest software and recruiting the fastest/bestest judges. But SPJ’s secretary-treasurer has devised a way to lessen the pain.

Dana Neuts personally interviewed executives at three companies that sell software for contests. She tried to negotiate package deals, which didn’t work this year but might next. (I don’t know Neuts very well, but she strikes me as stubborn in all the right ways.)

More importantly – and more successfully – she’s created a centralized, organized system for finding contest judges. The old way was for each chapter hosting a contest to beg other chapters to swap entries – because you certainly can’t judge your own stuff.

But that led to all kinds of disasters. I’m the past president of SPJ South Florida, and I remember a few years ago when some other chapters judged nothing we sent them. And they wouldn’t return our calls or emails, either. (No names, but you know who you are.)

If you’ve suffered through the same thing, join Neuts for a free webinar at noon EST on Thursday, Dec. 20. She’ll explain how the judging swap works, give you a plain-English rundown of the software that’s out there, and answer your contest-related questions.

Neuts is nuts

So why am I shilling for Neuts? Because I’m helping her any way I can and she wants. I like Neuts for two reasons…

First, she doesn’t just ponder problems, she attacks them.

Second, we got in a big fight a few months ago.

Neuts was upset about my coverage of this summer’s controversy at the University of Georgia student newspaper. She publicly accused me of insulting SPJ’s president. (Peruse the post under this one to see what I mean.)

So we talked, found common ground on some stuff, agreed to disagree on other stuff, and kept working on her contest plans.

(Even after the blog posts about him, that SPJ president showed up at an annual program I help organize called Will Write For Food – and he worked his ass off.)

To me, those are the ingredients SPJ should be cooking with – strong arguments, thick skins, and real work. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: There’s nothing more hypocritical than a thin-skinned journalist. So Neuts and the SPJ president she accused me of disrespecting are currently the two SPJ leaders I respect the most.

Whether that’s philosophically consistent or psychologically unhinged, I leave it for you to decide.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on FacebookShare on TumblrPin on PinterestShare on Reddit
  • MeganEspinal

“So why do the actual community newspapers not understand this? Probably
    because many of them let their readers dictate their every move.
    Newspapers should be leaders in their communities, not followers. If
    they build digitally, the readers will come.”

For a ‘lowly communications coordinator,’ you’re already able to see one of the key reasons so many publications are struggling, something many with far more experience are still failing to grasp.

And if I were you, I would own being a millennial. The stereotypes exist, yes, but we’re not all so similarly molded. You can’t change the perception if you aren’t willing to be an example of someone who doesn’t fit the stereotype. Just a tip from an early (1986) fellow millennial. :)

• AndySchotz

Not sure if this link will be readable, but I wrote a Quill column about suicide coverage that has a different approach. Not that reporting on suicide shouldn’t be sensitive, but we shouldn’t automatically start with an assumption that it’s taboo, even when private citizens are involved.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/spj/quill0108/index.php?startid=28

Doesn’t an accidental death in a home have an assumption of privacy, too? Why not tell journalists to tread lightly in those cases, too?

The taboo is based on an outdated societal belief that there is, and should be, shame attached to suicide and it shouldn’t be discussed. Actually, it’s a serious mental health issue in this country and should be discussed often – tastefully.

The question about reporting on specific details of Robin Williams’ death is another matter. The New York City tabloids and their ilk are always going to run roughshod on ethics; they thrive on pandering to lurid curiosity.

The addition to the code has the opposite effect, inadvertently affirming the tabloids’ decisions. It makes it sound as if all bets are off when reporting on the death of a public person or public place. I would strike it.

• Ryan Horns

After 16 years in journalism, I’ve dealt with the suicide coverage many many times and it never gets easier. It’s a bit lengthy, but here is a column I wrote about it recently:

“Sense and sensitivity”
    by Ryan Horns

In the course of almost 20 years spent as a journalist, I can definitely say I have helped a lot of businesses and organizations make a lot of money. I’ve also helped highlight a lot of amazing people, heroes and idealists.
    Similarly, I’ve probably ticked off a bunch of people at times as well. Maybe I put your drunk driving charge in the police beat and you lost your job. Maybe I didn’t write about your granddaughter. Maybe I wrote about someone else’s granddaughter. Maybe I questioned a decision you made or covered your court case. Maybe I spelled your name wrong once and you’ve cursed my name ever since.
    I’m comfortable with this because I know I’m just the messenger. People sometimes make bad decisions. Those decisions put them in the newspaper, not me.
    Over the past month, however, I’ve learned without a doubt that writing about suicides is the single most sensitive topic a journalist can cover. This has bothered me.
    After being told off by a girl in the Journal-Tribune offices last week, the fact truly hit home.
    When investigators determined January’s house fire arson was a suicide attempt, I reported the story. That prompted the girl’s visit to the newspaper office: How I could write what I did? Why couldn’t I bury the story on page two? Why did it have to be on the front page? Why do I care more about selling newspapers than the feelings of the family? Why couldn’t I hold the story for an extended period of time so the family could properly mourn?
    Of course, I also admired the guts it took for her to stomp down to my office and confront a guy more than twice her age. She meant business.
    The only stammering answer we could give in the newsroom was that we are journalists. Good or bad, we “journal” what happens in the community every single day. When a house burns and countless firefighters and emergency responders go inside and put their own lives in danger to save someone, it becomes news. Whether I like writing about it or not doesn’t matter.
    Some media outlets pride themselves on only reporting good news. I understand the desire, but I don’t see how that is a service to the community. Newspapers must deal with reality and facts. This past month I’ve written about fatal car crashes, ice storms, groundbreaking ceremonies, a canine service dog helping a handicapped boy, veterans being honored, snow rolls and thieves. This is our story as Union County, the good and the bad.
    We are all merely humans; just as capable of being heroic as we are admitting defeat. The role of journalism is not to help a community avoid dealing with reality. It is about helping them learn to understand it.
    Then, I started noticing how many suicide attempts there were over the past two weeks. Almost two-dozen Union County people tried to take their own lives in the first half of February alone. Why isn’t anyone talking about that?
    Meanwhile, I was trying to write an article about Marysville resident Amanda Stidam as she trains for her annual Suicide Sucks marathon run to raise funds for suicide awareness. Stidam lost her own mother to suicide, and feels the more people talk about the reality of suicide, the greater chance society has to get people the help they need and save more lives.
    In full disclosure, during the early 1990s, I lost a family friend to suicide and wondered what I could have done to prevent it. After years spent getting to know such an interesting person, all I have left is a Bob Dylan record he gave me once.
    The irony of the situation is that while I was getting yelled at for bringing attention to a suicide; local agencies were simultaneously asking me to write about suicide awareness. It seemed clear that a gray area needed addressed.
    During last week’s Local Outreach to Suicide Survivors (LOSS) meeting, I decided to find out. In a room full of people affected by suicide at one point in their lives, I asked how a journalist could realistically write about it without offending anyone. One member asked what news purpose there is to writing about a suicide. Another suggested I treat the story as if I were writing about my own mother.
    I pointed out that I don’t typically write about suicide attempts, and rarely print the names of the victims – unless they burn down a house, or shoot guns, or drive their cars into ponds, or generally involve the entire community. Some people kill themselves to get attention; others quietly want a way out.
    Honestly, I wish I wrote more often about suicide victims. Maybe I should do feature stories about every single one, what led them to take their own lives and then ask their family and friends to comment.
    When it comes down to it, it’s not my job to uphold this myth that suicide doesn’t exist. Especially not when 20 people have tried to kill themselves over the past month in our community. These are our friends and neighbors. We can pull the wool over our eyes and pretend these deaths aren’t happening, or we can raise awareness, provide the help and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

-Ryan Horns is a reporter for the Journal-Tribune

• AndySchotz

Good column. Very thoughtful.

• Aimee England

I am being asked by family members of a suicide ( cause of death not made public nor released by police) to remove photographs of the scene as police investigated the fatality, which was called in as DOA on our local college campus. Police allowed me to photograph the scene from the roadway. Family members are demanding (by phone calls and comments in the story post) that the photos showing the vehicle ( on one was in it ) be removed. I have removed the photos that featured the vehicle more prominently, due the lighting and distance no private information could be revealed. Here’s the link to my news page. These have been shared on Social media ( the post shows 135 shares and shows 8472 people reached.) several times. This link is the one with truck photos removed. https://www.facebook.com/hillsdalecommunitynews/photos/pcb.790994900944937/790994730944954/?type=1&theater

And the photo below is one of the vehicle and similar to others that were removed.

Here some of the comments. :

Janelle Lynn Brooks Why are these up here! People need to respect privacy

Like · Reply · 1 hr

Heather Bryan Take these pictures down now!

Jessica ThomasAugust 27 at 9:14pm Have you people no shame. Yes, you may be proud of your police and such but, this woman has a family. She’s my mother! No respect for victims privacy…

Freedom of speech!! Yankeys like all you of you, that is posting this. Your the main reason I moved south. Did ANY of you think of her family, or friends? How would you like to deal with someone you love taking their life. Then dealing with pictures on facebook? If the police would of been doing their job they would of found her way before this. Yes I know that you won’t posted this, but I know this family. They are all good people and to put them though this, is uncalled for. Did any of news paper people ask how long that she had been missing? That’s what I thought, just put a label on her and belittle her. She won’t know the difference because she is just one more number to all of you. That really stinks because she has a mom, husband, 3 kids, brother, sister, and grandkids. They have to put up with the B.S. that you print. I’m sorry but all of you are in the wrong!!!! If the family could find a lawyer that is as crooked as all of you, I hope they sue all of you for wrong doing.

Mainly I am worried that they could report me to the social media host site (Facebook) for offending photos.
    Secondly, I can’t afford nor do I have the resources to be sued (were that even an option) My news page is community based and is free- done in free time for the love the community. I’d like to work on monetizing it)
    This last commenter is correct. I and agree with some of his points. She was missing for about two days, and I am not sure that certain police did thoroughly look for her from what I heard on the scanner. ( my interpretation could be wrong however). I feel that I reported the facts correctly. Other news sites posted “BODY FOUND”. with just graphics.
    Locally I am the only 24-7 news resource.

• John Hopkins

In what context is there a tradition of paying for photos? You’re not talking about paying the subject of a photo, are you?

• Rishat

As-salamu alaykum I have immunity against Ebola Russia, Republic of Tatarstan, Almetyevsk volunteer e-mail:riszhat@gmail.com

• Andy Schotz

This was poor, context-free journalism for a variety of reasons.
    1 – If the man’s criminal background is relevant, then so is his identity and the details of the interaction. The StarTribune account adds important information about the man and the organization he’s with that more properly frames what happened.
    2- As the police heap criticism on the mayor, any bad blood between them absolutely needs to be part of the story. Might there be a motivation for the attacks by these unnamed police sources? Granted, that would take some actual reporting to flesh out – and might lessen the impact of the “gotcha” story.
    3 – Since when is pointing your finger like a gun a gang symbol (and nothing else)? How about interviewing someone with no axe to grind about that allegation?
    There’s plenty more…

• deisum

I’m genuinely curious why this article focuses on the legitimacy of the ‘gang sign’ claim rather than examining KSTP ignoring the (almost certain) ulterior motives of the police source (as well as the police union president) to retaliate against the mayor and the man in the photo. To me (someone who has never engaged in any form of journalism), the lie-of-omission committed by KSTP– by failing to disclose the union president’s prior extremely critical (and wildly unfounded) remarks directed at the mayor along with the fact that a police officer is accused of using excessive force on the man in the photograph just days earlier– is a much greater failure of ethics. I’d love to hear your reaction.

• Manu

I bet if all of those sponsors start pulling that MONEY, somebody’s employment would be in question… With a department that is shunning accountability, this is all about the MPD sneak punching the Mayor and the Chief respectfully. P.U. ( stinks )

• Alyssa Larson
  • JP

This is a dangerous misinformation. Deaf people routinely point as part of sign language, and a few have already been harrassed for “flashing gang sign.” A few deaf people have been shot by policemen who did not realize they were deaf (or ignored others’ warnings.)

I take this kind of bigotry and disinformation very seriously.

• Andy Schotz

A statement from the Minnesota Pro SPJ chapter, denouncing the news segment: http://www.mnspj.org/2014/11/19/spj-calls-on-kstp-to-disavow-pointergate-story

• AndrewMSeaman

Thanks, Andy! I’ll update the post to draw more attention to their statement.

• Kimberly

Everything in the story has come true. With the huge bust, the sources had to be protected. The story aired, to have the mayor stop her careless “I’m with the people” facade. All the pointing, proven gang signs. The kid, clearly likes his guns, and James C. Cole, just died after posting a treat to the buddy Navell brought on TV with him. You’re what’s wrong with journalism today. You have more inaccuracies in this post, than Kolls has had, his whole career. How many photos would you like, proving all his accurate reporting, and your ridiculous criticism of it, from the signs, to Navell, to the fact the mayor was too stupid to know all the gang bangers in her city do that silly pointing, then kill each other. How many photos, from all their accounts they do this silly pointing would you like posted, and where would you like them sent. I’ll see you on the 8th.

Attack on Kolls, Ferguson, Cosby. Start over SPJ, this group doesn’t know it, and it’s why journalism is falling apart. Dear god, everything he reported came true. Truth will turn your forum into a lashing to you newbies. Without fear, or favor. How you doing with that SPJ?

Newest Posts

Ohio passes bill clouding execution process December 18, 2014, 7:23 pm
Cuba opens its door to U.S. journalists, but be careful December 17, 2014, 7:35 pm
Congratulations to Julie Asher, December Volunteer of the Month December 17, 2014, 2:51 pm
Adding Study Abroad to a Journalism Curriculum December 14, 2014, 6:43 pm
NorCal SPJ chapter fights for sunshine in San Francisco December 12, 2014, 2:21 am
Stop ignoring Instagram December 11, 2014, 10:38 pm
Help us improve and protect journalism abroad December 10, 2014, 5:40 pm

Copyright © 2007-2014 Society of Professional Journalists. All Rights Reserved. Legal