By Holly Fisher | November 24th, 2009
I am very excited about SPJ’s new membership campaign – 2010 in 2010. Launching Jan. 1, 2010, this membership drive has the potential to bring in new members, reward local chapters for their member recruiting efforts and just give us some plain ‘ol fun.
Is a goal of 2010 members in the year 2010 ambitious? As Mickey Mouse (I have a toddler) would say, “You betcha!” Is it doable? Another “You betcha!” I know of few organizations whose members are as dedicated, devoted and enthusiastic as SPJ’s. We can easily channel that enthusiasm into a membership campaign and I firmly believe we can achieve our goal.
With the journalism profession as we’ve known it for years crumbling around us, I definitely want to be part of a solid journalism organization and surround myself with other great journalists.
In the next few weeks, start making a list of the journalists you know who are not SPJ members. Now would be a great time to invite them to a program, send them a brochure or point out all the great programs SPJ has. Will they join? I’m going to say, “You betcha!”
Here are the contest guidelines:
We will have three categories: large chapter, small chapter and campus chapter.
1. You should recruit new members at every opportunity…awards, professional development programs, mixers, in the hallway, at the park, in the bathroom, etc. Just ask!
2. Anyone from your area who signs up during the year (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31) will automatically be awarded to your chapter. Meaning, someone doesn’t have to sign up at a chapter event for you to get credit. We are going to assume that your chapter has spread the word and people came to us because of your great work.
3. We will track the results at HQ, but provide regular updates so all can see how the contest is going.
4. Membership applications and payment (mailed or online) must be received by Dec. 31, 2010, HQ to be counted.
5. To up the ante a bit, we will count new AND renewing members. After all, it doesn’t do us much good to sign up 2,010 new members if we lose 3,000. In addition to recruiting, we need you to focus on meeting the needs of those already in your ranks, and showing them value of SPJ.
The chapters who finish in the top three in each category will win:
1st place – three complimentary convention registrations for 2011 (no travel or meal costs included). A $555 value.
2nd place – two complimentary convention registrations for 2011 (no travel or meal costs included). A $370 value.
3rd place – one complimentary convention registration for 2011 (no travel or meal costs included). A $185 value.