September 2nd, 2010
Minutes, J-Ed Committee meeting, Aug. 19
By Jeff South
Here are the final minutes of the tele-meeting that the committee held on Aug. 19, 2010. A draft of the minutes had been circulated by e-mail; this version incorporates suggested changes.
Minutes, SPJ J-Ed Committee, Aug. 19, 2010
Minutes of telephone meeting of the SPJ Journalism Education Committee, Thursday, Aug. 19, 2010
The meeting began at 4 p.m. EDT. The following people were present for all or part of the meeting:
Lee Anne Peck
1. SPJ’s affiliate membership with AEJMC. George gave a report. He noted that SPJ’s executive board voted in July to reup as an affiliate member of AEJMC. Among other things, this will allow SPJ to have input into programming for AEJMC conventions. As SPJ’s executive director, Joe Skeel will be SPJ’s point person on the AEJMC Council of Affiliates. George said Joe probably will seek advice and ideas from the SPJ Journalism Education Committee.
2. Report from the AEJMC convention in Denver. With help from Neil and others, SPJ circulated a flier promoting a breakfast at the AEJMC convention. George and others attended the breakfast. Neil said one issue that SPJ would like to address with AEJMC is the recruitment and development of advisers for SPJ campus chapters. In that regard, SPJ is developing a set of online resources for SPJ campus chapters. George and Neil discussed this “Programming in a Box” idea. J-Ed Committee members also suggested that we develop a list of experienced campus chapter advisers who could mentor and help newbies.
3. Discussion of the J-Ed Committee at the SPJ national convention in Las Vegas. The committee is scheduled to meet in Las Vegas at 3:30 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 4. We discussed which J-Ed Committee members plan to attend the convention and the meeting.
4. Discussion of the chapter leadership session that will be held on Sunday, Oct. 3, at the SPJ convention. One question was: Should we have separate meetings for the campus advisers and the students? The J-Ed Committee’s consensus was to keep the advisers and students together.
5. Consideration of a resolution for presentation to the SPJ delegates at the national convention. George prepared a resolution that “… members of the Society go on record supporting continued involvement with preparing tomorrow’s journalists by maintaining its membership in on the Accrediting Council for Education and Journalism and Mass Communication …” The J-Ed Committee unanimously approved the resolution with some editing changes. [Note: On Sept. 2, the resolution was e-mailed to Mac McKerral, chairman of the SPJ Resolutions Committee.]
6. Committee membership for the coming year. If you’re interested in serving on the J-Ed Committee next year, let Jeff know (email@example.com). And/or contact SPJ’s president-elect, Hagit Limor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
7. Ideas for future Toolbox columns or Quill stories. We kicked around several ideas, including:
- How students have changed over the years
- Ways to grow your chapter
- Teaching social media
8. Discussion of past issues, including possible changes in the SPJ Campus Chapter ratings system (Neil said some proposals are in the works).
The meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.