Good to meet you: New officer Victoria Blake

Victoria Blake

Victoria Blake

Hello,

I am the new Social Media Manager for the Society of Professional Journalists International Community page. I hope to bring many new ideas to the organization to better this community with Elle Toussi and Dan Kubiske.

In the past few months I have had the honor to work in different organizations starting with Texan News Service at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. While I am going to graduate in 2018, I enjoy volunteering and writing at any moment possible.

Since Texan News Service, I have begun working as the Content Editor at JTAC News, another student newspaper at my university. I also am a contributor for Kettle Magazine, writing for the culture, science, and now, politics sections.

I also was one of the Social Media Managers for SCARE for a Cure in Austin, Texas. While this was my first year volunteering with them, we raised money by hosting a haunted house for the Breast Cancer Resource Center. There, I helped put photos up of facts about Halloween, and direct questions to other volunteers about the haunt. In addition, I am the current Social Media Manager for Purrs N’ Spurs. An organization at my university that takes care of our feral cat colony.

This year I will also be serving as the Vice-Chair in Society of Professional Journalists Generation J. I hope to help the two communities work together in bringing forth better content and helping each other learn, and achieve goals from one another. I believe both places as well as others of SPJ are very unique, and have a lot to offer, and am pleased to be a part of that process.

I want to make this through collaboration an inclusive, more advanced organization. What was said by Dan Kubiske just yesterday that has stuck with me was that throughout the world our organization is looked to on ethics.

In my free time, I like traveling, rock climbing, and as of recently, art and photography. I have several goals I want to achieve this year, including:

• I hope for this to not only be a great learning experience personally, but to do more with social media and reach new people to help out along the way.
  • I want to try using Instagram or Snapchat to show where international journalists are. What are you seeing? Where are you today? If you would like, I would love to read a blog post about it and learn more about what you are doing with your stories.
  • Bring up more opportunities with people and how to enhance skills for the betterment of ourselves and the industry.
  • Ask more of you what you would like to see in this organization, how could I along with with everyone else do more to improve in any aspect?
  • This year, the goal is to have an issue in the industry, or main topic for each month and a spotlight on a journalist and what they are doing later in the month. We have a unique community and that in itself that for what I have seen, should be recognized and I would love to read other Journalist’s work.I look forward to this experience to help progress this organization to the prime and best it can be while meeting new people along the way.
Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on FacebookShare on TumblrShare on RedditPin on Pinterest