Sunshine Week 2014: Two new studies released

On the eve of Sunshine Week 2014, SPJ released the results from two surveys about journalists’ experience with obtaining public information. The studies were led by Dr. Carolyn S. Carlson — a communication professor from Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga., and a member of SPJ’s Freedom of Information committee — and Megan Roy, Carlson’s graduate research assistant.

The surveys specifically document reporters’ perceptions about whether government press offices interfere with reporting.

The first survey sponsored by SPJ was of political and general assignment reporters working at the state and local level. The vast majority of reporters who took this survey said the amount of control has been increasing over the past several years and they see it only getting worse over the next few years. They agreed the current level of media control by PIOs is an impediment to providing information to the public. Download and read the complete report [PDF, 468 KB] here.

For the second survey, SPJ joined with the Education Writers Association to focus on the nation’s education reporters. Journalists indicated that public information officers often require pre-approval for interviews, decide whom reporters get to interview and often monitor interviews. Sometimes they will prohibit interviews altogether. Education writers overwhelmingly agreed with the statement that “the public was not getting all the information it needs because of barriers agencies are imposing on journalists’ reporting practices.” Download and read the complete report [PDF, 417 KB] here.

Transcripts of remarks from the National Press Club’s “When Press Offices Block the Press” event [PDF]
Introduction by Kathryn Foxhall
Carolyn Carlson
SPJ President David Cuillier
Emily Richmond, EWA Public Editor

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on FacebookShare on TumblrPin on PinterestShare on Reddit

Newest Posts

Memorial Funds for WDBJ’s Alison Parker and Adam Ward August 28, 2015, 7:50 pm
Thank You, WDBJ-7 August 26, 2015, 10:58 pm
Lessons China Needs To Learn From Hong Kong August 25, 2015, 12:00 pm
Journalists Can Responsibly Use Hacked Data August 21, 2015, 8:45 pm
Summary of how Chinese authorities hinder Tianjin reporting August 21, 2015, 10:28 am
Making the Best Use of Your Time at EIJ (Which Isn’t Easy to Do!) August 19, 2015, 2:00 pm
Congratulations to Bob Roberts, SPJ volunteer of the month August 18, 2015, 8:22 pm

Copyright © 2007-2015 Society of Professional Journalists. All Rights Reserved. Legal