Student Press Law Center wants students to help it “break” FERPA

Frank LoMonte, the Student Press Law Center’s executive director, wants college students to help him show how flawed the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act has become.

LoMonte’s “Let’s Break FERPA” campaign calls for students to contact their schools and ask for copies of their FERPA records. LoMonte points out that FERPA not only requires the records be kept from public view, but must be provided to students and their families on request.

The point of the exercise, LoMonte says, is to show that schools use FERPA to hold back records that should be public. He expects students to just get copies of their college applications and transcripts, and not the myriad records that are usually locked up under FERPA, such as student government meeting minutes, campus crime reports and similar documents.

The law center provides a letter generator to help students write their requests, and LoMonte is expecting to hear the first reports of the campaign filter in in the next couple months. FERPA gives schools 45 days to respond to requests.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on FacebookShare on TumblrPin on PinterestShare on Reddit

Newest Posts

Protected: A timely mistake November 24, 2015, 2:08 am
Introducing/remembering Austin Kiplinger November 23, 2015, 12:32 am
Get the Story Even in ‘Media Free’ Zones November 20, 2015, 2:03 am
KaLeigh Underwood of EKU is SPJ’s Member of Month November 19, 2015, 3:46 pm
Membership planning proposal approved (I voted no) November 19, 2015, 2:29 pm
Journalism codes of ethics from around the world November 18, 2015, 2:43 am
Bad news November 16, 2015, 3:21 pm

Copyright © 2007-2015 Society of Professional Journalists. All Rights Reserved. Legal