The 2012 SPJ Diversity Leadership Fellows
The idea to establish a program for fellows to learn about the inner workings of SPJ through an immersion into teaching of the Society’s missions, culture and operations came to fruition seven years ago in a Las Vegas hotel that no longer exists. The Diversity Leadership Fellows Program would be an educational process starting at the beginning of the SPJ national convention. Selected fellows, who would be involved in many aspects of the conference, would receive complimentary registration and paid travel for the event.
Today, unlike the Vegas hotel where the first group of fellows met, the DLFP still exists.
SPJ has made it clear that diversity is part of its core mission and values, which is why SPJ’s Sigma Delta Chi Foundation continues to fund the successful program. To that extent, the diversity committee has spent the past several weeks working with Lauren Rochester, SPJ’s awards coordinator, and Chris Vachon, SPJ’s associate executive director, in selecting participants for the 2012 Diversity Leadership Fellows Program.
We are excited about the six newest fellows, and the awesome list of mentors who have volunteered to work with the fellows. This year’s fellows include:
- Nigel Duara, The Associated Press, Oregon/S.W. Washington Chapter, SPJ
- Malik Singleton, CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, Deadline Club Chapter, SPJ
- Sandra Gonzalez, Freelance Digital Journalist, New Orleans Chapter, SPJ
- Sherri Williams, Adjunct Faculty, Syracuse University, Freelance Writer, Former Board Member of the Central Ohio Chapter, SPJ
- Tony Hernandez, Northwest Arkansas Times, Northwest Arkansas Pro Chapter, SPJ
- Britney Tabor, Denton Record-Chronicle, Fort Worth Chapter, SPJ
Bonnie Newman Davis
SPJ Diversity Committee Chair – 2011-2012
Unfettered access to those in power, a push for government transparency and a vigorous defense of the First Amendment are perhaps more important now than ever before. Join us as we fight for the public’s right to know as an SPJ Supporter. Or, if you’re a journalist, we welcome you to stand with us as a Professional, Student or Retired Member.