SPJ Code of Ethics changes: Let your voice be heard

The Society of Professional Journalists is in a year of transition. The board, including student representatives Lindsey and Michael, is discussing changing the name and changing the Code of Ethics. Since the last revision of the code was in 1996, we can expect to be with the next version of the code for a while, long into the careers of journalists who are in college now. So, contribute your voice and let SPJ know how you think the code should be changed.

We want to make sure student voices are heard. We’re asking all SPJ student chapters to put on an event with your members to brainstorm changes. Then, you’ll send those changes to us and we’ll include them on this blog for everyone to see.

I’ve created a guide for hosting your event. The guide allows your group to brainstorm problems with modern journalism and use those problems to create changes in the Code of Ethics.

As the leader of University of Georgia’s ONA/SPJ group, I hosted the event with our students. The results were an updated Code of Ethics and a comprehensive list of journalism fails. For example, we included gender identifications in our revisions because of articles like this.

Questions? Email lindzcook@gmail.com.

EmailTwitterGoogle+FacebooktumblrPinterestReddit

Tags: , , ,

• Michael Koretzky

Lindsey Cook is awesome but naive. I doubt three chapters accept her challenge. But as an added incentive, I offer this…

Every chapter who contributes to Cook’s satisfaction will be entered into a drawing, and the winning chapter will receive $100 from my meager SPJ account.

Bet I’ll never spend a friggin’ dime.

- Michael Koretzky, Region 3 director

• Mike Reilley

Lindsey: This is a great idea. Our SPJ DePaul chapter is participating in a larger Region 5 discussion with other student (and pro chapters) about the code and name changes. It’s expected to take place at our spring regional meeting in Chicago. Keep up the good work.

• Barry Hollander

But what will you do with the other $99,900 in your SPJ slush fund?

Newest Posts

Congratulations! Mark of Excellence Awards list April 16, 2014, 5:21 pm
Mark of Excellence Award duplicate order form April 16, 2014, 5:13 pm
Google Chrome: The Only Browser You’ll Ever Need April 16, 2014, 12:00 pm
Congrats & Annual Reports! April 14, 2014, 4:25 pm
Three Web Design Resources Every New Grad Should Play With April 14, 2014, 12:00 pm
6 Things to Bring to an Interview (and 6 Things to Hide) April 8, 2014, 1:50 am

Copyright © 2007-2014 Society of Professional Journalists. All Rights Reserved. Legal