SPJ Code of Ethics changes: Let your voice be heard

The Society of Professional Journalists is in a year of transition. The board, including student representatives Lindsey and Michael, is discussing changing the name and changing the Code of Ethics. Since the last revision of the code was in 1996, we can expect to be with the next version of the code for a while, long into the careers of journalists who are in college now. So, contribute your voice and let SPJ know how you think the code should be changed.

We want to make sure student voices are heard. We’re asking all SPJ student chapters to put on an event with your members to brainstorm changes. Then, you’ll send those changes to us and we’ll include them on this blog for everyone to see.

I’ve created a guide for hosting your event. The guide allows your group to brainstorm problems with modern journalism and use those problems to create changes in the Code of Ethics.

As the leader of University of Georgia’s ONA/SPJ group, I hosted the event with our students. The results were an updated Code of Ethics and a comprehensive list of journalism fails. For example, we included gender identifications in our revisions because of articles like this.

Questions? Email lindzcook@gmail.com.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on FacebookShare on TumblrPin on PinterestShare on Reddit

Tags: , , ,

• Michael Koretzky

Lindsey Cook is awesome but naive. I doubt three chapters accept her challenge. But as an added incentive, I offer this…

Every chapter who contributes to Cook’s satisfaction will be entered into a drawing, and the winning chapter will receive $100 from my meager SPJ account.

Bet I’ll never spend a friggin’ dime.

– Michael Koretzky, Region 3 director

• Mike Reilley

Lindsey: This is a great idea. Our SPJ DePaul chapter is participating in a larger Region 5 discussion with other student (and pro chapters) about the code and name changes. It’s expected to take place at our spring regional meeting in Chicago. Keep up the good work.

• Barry Hollander

But what will you do with the other $99,900 in your SPJ slush fund?

Newest Posts

What can Instagram’s new app do for journalism? September 12, 2014, 8:00 pm
SPJ Int’l connections? September 11, 2014, 9:21 pm
Following in the footsteps of giants September 11, 2014, 4:08 pm
5 goals, 4 GIFs from your new Region 11 director September 11, 2014, 3:45 am
Nashville Need-to-Knows September 11, 2014, 1:47 am
SPJ prez convention wrap- up September 10, 2014, 10:35 pm

SPJ News

Andy Schotz named SPJ Regional Director of the Year September 6, 2014, 11:00 pm
SPJ updates Code of Ethics September 5, 2014, 11:00 pm
Kevin Smith receives Wells Memorial Key, highest SPJ honor September 5, 2014, 11:00 pm

Copyright © 2007-2014 Society of Professional Journalists. All Rights Reserved. Legal