Mark of Excellence Awards Deadline Approaching

As you spent the first week of 2012 writing your New Year’s resolutions, what did you include on your list?  Hit the gym? Eat healthy? Quit procrastinating? Well, surely you’ve remembered to add this: Become an award-winning journalist. If not, you’ve got just a few more weeks to add it to your list!

Each year the Society of Professional Journalists presents the Mark of Excellence Awards, which honors the best in student journalism. The awards offer categories for print, radio, television and online collegiate journalism. This year’s deadline is on January 25, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time).

The contest is open to anyone enrolled in a college or university in the U.S. studying for an academic degree in 2011. The entrant must have been enrolled as a student at the time of publication or broadcast. Students who have had full-time, professional journalism experience, outside of internships, are not eligible. Entries must have been published or broadcast during 2011.

Entries are first judged on the regional level. First place regional winners advance to the national competition and are recognized at SPJ spring conferences. National winners will be showcased on spj.org.

Ready to apply? Make sure you read the Mark of Excellence rules before submitting your entry!

What should a winning entry look like? Review the work of the 2010 National MOE Winners and Finalists: http://www.spj.org/moe10.asp

Frequently Asked Questions: http://awards.spj.org/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Got a question that’s not included above? Contact SPJ at 317/927-8000 or e-mail awards@spj.org.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on FacebookShare on TumblrPin on PinterestShare on Reddit

Newest Posts

BRANDED: How young journos can make a name for themselves September 19, 2014, 7:49 pm
Victor Hernandez: September Volunteer of the Month September 19, 2014, 4:20 pm
Athens in 2015 September 19, 2014, 1:52 am
Columbus fetes Smith September 19, 2014, 1:38 am
‘Ohio’s Best’ event Oct. 25 September 18, 2014, 7:10 pm
Diversity Committee: Looking ahead to the coming year September 18, 2014, 12:45 pm
SPJ now has an International Journalism Community! September 17, 2014, 5:11 pm

Copyright © 2007-2014 Society of Professional Journalists. All Rights Reserved. Legal