The Weekly Index for February 5, 2010

LIST GraphicGreeting SPJ campus members!

Please accept my sincerest apologies for slacking on the blog this past week. A mixture of school work, newspaper work, freelance work, and dental work led to zero downtime this past week.

However, never fear! I am back with an extra long list of items that will keep you busy for days to come!

So, let’s get started.

• The new issue of the Quill is out and it is AWESOME! You may want to check out the article on how to capture HD video with your SLR camera by Jeff Achen
  • Quill’s Managing Editor Scott Leadingham has a great post on how to keep up with SPJ chapters across America using Twitter! Scott also links to a post by Monica Guzman, a SPJ member and Seatlepi.com reporter, on how to keep up with other tweeple using the same method. 
  • Join Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and reporter Tom Hallman, Jr. for his Narrative Writing Workshops in DC or Santa Clara, Calif. in April and May! 
  • Looking for something directed specifically to young journos? Try SPJ’s Reporters Instituteat The Poynter Institute in Florida! Applications are due March 1. 
  • Want my job? As a national board member, I mean. Find out how here
  • I had an amazing experience as an intern for The Working Press in Indianapolis during the national convention last year, and now you can have the same experience in VEGAS! Find out how to apply here. I cannot say enough about my experience with The Working Press. I made great friends and gained great pages for my portfolio. 
  • The Nieman Foundation at Harvard University asks the question: What is journalism school for? Read the post here. 
  • The Public Relations Society of America has, what I consider, a really cool post about the AP Stylebook
  • Jason Fry, from the Indiana University National Sports Journalism Center, has a great post about how writing for the web is different, and how it isn’t. 
  • Emily Sweeney, or Spikey Em- SPJ member, reporter at The Boston Globe, and a fellow 2009 Ted Scripps Leadership Institute Graduate – has a great post on SPJ’s Net Worked blog about how to edit a video in Windows Movie Maker in 7 easy steps! 
  • Spikey Em also has a post on seven cool social media tools for journalists. 
  • Andy Schotz, president of DC’s Pro Chapter and chair of SPJ’s Ethics Committee, has a post on SPJ’s Code Words blog about some new ‘boundaries’ for social media. 
  • The Student Press Law Center reports that a proposed amendment to Maryland’s shield law includes… Are you ready for this? COLLEGE JOURNALISTS! Read SPLC’s report here
  • Martin Moore, director of the Media Standards Trust and a 2008 Knight News Challenge winner, has an interesting postabout the universal principles that guide journalism. The post is housed at the PBS MediaShift Idea Lab.

Also, I want to start providing links to some of our campus chapters. Let’s start with our chapter at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism. Check out their great Web site here.

Let’s take a look at a very amusing video posted to their website. The description on YouTube is, “A group project performed for an ethics course at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism. The assignment was to come up with a journalist’s oath.”

Maybe we can ask for an encore at the Region 1 conference. Have a great weekend!
____________________________________________________________
Andrew M. Seamanis a senior communication studies student at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He is one of SPJ’s student representatives on the national board and you can follow him on Twitter @aseaman06.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on FacebookShare on TumblrPin on PinterestShare on Reddit

Newest Posts

And finally… more edits to ethics code draft September 1, 2014, 9:32 pm
New ethics code draft is REALLY final, for now August 29, 2014, 6:17 am
Ethics Code Revision: Final Draft August 28, 2014, 7:22 pm
Wearing your emotions August 28, 2014, 3:07 pm
SPJ Board endorses ethics code draft revision August 27, 2014, 4:55 pm
SPJ Digital approved by Board August 27, 2014, 4:14 pm
Expand your freelance network – join SPJ’s freelance community! August 25, 2014, 9:27 pm

Copyright © 2007-2014 Society of Professional Journalists. All Rights Reserved. Legal