2010 Tour Stops
Access Across America Tour Stops (maps below)
Tuesday, April 27 (Arizona)
- 11:30-1:30 Casa Grande Dispatch, Casa Grande, Ariz. (just for staffers)
- 6-8 p.m. Valley of the Sun SPJ chapter, downtown Phoenix. Open to the public. Free. See more details.
Wednesday, April 28 (California)
- 1-2 p.m. Imperial Valley Press, El Centro, Calif. (for staffers)
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. San Diego SPJ chapter, San Diego. Open to the public (free to members, $5 for non-members). See more information to RSVP.
Thursday, April 29 (California)
- 9-10 a.m. The Mountain Enterprise, Frazier Park, Calif. (for staffers)
- 2-4 p.m. Bakersfield Californian, Bakersfield, Calif. (for staffers)
Friday, April 30 (California)
- 9-10 a.m. Hanford Sentinel, Hanford, Calif. (for staffers)
Saturday, May 1 (California)
- 3:30-4:40 p.m. SPJ Region 11 conference, San Francisco. See more details.
Sunday, May 2 (Oregon)
- Day off. Visit with friends in Eugene, Ore.
Monday, May 3 (Oregon)
- 1-2 p.m. Corvallis Gazette-Times, Corvallis, Ore. (for staffers)
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. Oregon SPJ pro chapter, Portland, Ore. (open to public)
Tuesday, May 4 (Washington)
- 11:30-1:30 Washington Coalition for Open Government with the Western Washington SPJ pro chapter, Tacoma, Wash. (open to the public)
Wednesday, May 5 (Washington)
- 8:30-10:30 a.m. William O. Douglas SPJ pro chapter, Kennewick, Wash. (regional journalists)
- 2-3 p.m. Cheney Free Press, Cheney, Wash. (staffers)
- 5-6:30 p.m. Inland Northwest Press Club, Spokane Valley, Wash. (open to the public)
Thursday, May 6 (Washington-Montana)
- 11:30-1:30 Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash. (for regional journalists)
- 7-9 p.m. Montana SPJ pro chapter, Missoula, Mont. (open to the public)
Friday, May 7 (Montana)
- 12-2 p.m. Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Bozeman, Mont. (staffers)
Saturday, May 8 (Wyoming)
- 10 a.m. – noon Northwest College (regional journalists and students)
Sunday, May 9 (South Dakota)
- 11:30-1 Rapid City Journal, Rapid City, S.D. (staffers)
Monday, May 10 (South Dakota-Minnesota)
- 12-1 p.m. Argus Leader, Sioux Falls, S.D. (staffers)
- 3:30-4:30 Marshall Independent, Marshall, Minn. (staffers)
Tuesday, May 11 (Minnesota)
- 1-3 p.m. St. Cloud Times, St. Cloud, Minn. (staffers)
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. Minneapolis SPJ pro chapter, Minneapolis, Minn., University of Minnesota, Murphy Hall Room 100, 206 Church Street SE; $10 for SPJ members, $15 for non-members. More information.
Wednesday, May 12 (Michigan)
- 7-9 p.m. Lansing SPJ pro chapter, Lansing, Mich., Harper’s, 131 Albert Avenue, free admission (SPJ members and interested journalists).
Thursday, May 13 (Michigan)
- 11-12 Owosso Argus-Press, Owosso, Mich. (staffers)
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. Detroit SPJ pro chapter, 615 West Lafayette Blvd., Detroit, $10 for SPJ members, $12 for non-members. Check to see if full (contact info).
Friday, May 14 (Ohio)
- 3-5 p.m. Findlay Courier, Findlay, Ohio (staffers)
Saturday, May 15 (Kentucky)
- 9-11 a.m. Louisville SPJ pro chapter, Louisville, Ky. Watch for more details.
Sunday, May 16 (Kentucky)
- Day of rest/driving
Monday, May 17 (Tennessee)
- 11:30-1:30 Middle Tennessee SPJ pro chapter and Tennessee Coalition for Open Government, Nashville, Tenn., Curb Event Center, Beaman A., Belmont University. Cost is $20 per person and includes a box lunch. See Web site for more information.
- 7:30-9:30 p.m. East Tennessee SPJ pro chapter, Knoxville, Tenn., auditorium, 321 College of Communications Building, Circle Park Drive, University of Tennessee. Free for SPJ members and $10 for non-members. See more information and RSVP.
Tuesday, May 18 (Georgia-Alabama)
- 11:30-1:30 Georgia First Amendment Coalition, Atlanta, Ga. See Web site for more information.
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. Alabama SPJ pro chapter, Montgomery, Ala.
Wednesday, May 19 (Georgia)
- 2-4 p.m. Valdosta newspaper, Valdosta, Ga. (staffers)
Thursday, May 20 (Florida)
- 7-8:30 p.m. South Florida SPJ pro chapter, Boca Raton, Fla. See Web site for more information.
Friday, May 21 (North Carolina)
- Visiting Joe Adams, editorial writer for the Times-Union in Jacksonville, Fla., and creator of www.idiganswers.com. He’s also vice chair of the SPJ FOI Committee. Driving to North Carolina on way to Virginia.
Saturday, May 22 (Virginia)
- 2-4 p.m. Virginia Coalition for Open Government, Richmond, Va. Admission is $10 per person. See Web site for more information.
Sunday, May 23 (Washington, D.C.)
- Travel and day of rest
Monday, May 24 (Washington, D.C.)
- 6-8 p.m. Washington, D.C., SPJ pro chapter, Washington, D.C., National Press Club, 529 14th St. NW, 13th Floor, $10 for NPC/SPJ members and $25 for non-members. See Press Club site to RSVP.
Tuesday, May 25 (West Virginia)
- 1-3 p.m. The Journal and The Courier in Martinsburg, WV (for staffers)
Wednesday, May 26 (New York)
- 11:30-1 Home News Tribune and Courier News, East Brunswick, NJ (for staffers)
- 7-9 p.m. New York City Deadline Club SPJ chapter, New York, N.Y. At Associated Press headquarters, 430 W. 33rd St. Free for SPJ members and $10 for non-members. See Deadline Club site for more information.
Thursday, May 27 (Maine)
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. Maine SPJ pro chapter, Portland, Maine. At the University of Southern Maine Portland campus, the Wishcamper Center on Bedford Street. Free and open to the public.
Friday, May 28 (Vermont)
- 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Vermont coalition, Montpelier, Vt. Capitol Plaza, 100 State St., sign in 10 a.m., start 10:30 a.m., working lunch, and wrap up at 1:30 p.m. Pre-registration due May 21 (room limited to 75). Price is $20, which includes a box lunch. For more information, contact Michael Donoghue at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 802-654-2442. To include rousing talk by Doug Clifton, director of the New England First Amendment Coalition.
Saturday, May 29 (Pennsylvania)
- 2-4 p.m. Wilkes University SPJ student chapter, Wilkes-Barre, Penn., Ballroom of the Henry Student Center (2nd floor), 84 West South Street.
Sunday, May 30 (Pennsylvania)
- Day of travel and rest
Monday, May 31 (Ohio)
- Driving (Memorial Day)
Tuesday, June 1 (Ohio)
- 12-2 p.m. Cincinnati SPJ pro chapter, Cincinnati, Ohio, more information to come at chapter site.
- 7-9 p.m. Cleveland SPJ pro chapter, Cleveland, Ohio, Doubletree Hotel downtown, 1111 Lakeside Ave. East.
Wednesday, June 2 (Indiana)
- 10-2 Indianapolis SPJ pro chapter, Indianapolis, Ind., SPJ National Headquarters, 3909 N. Meridian St., free for members, $10 for non-members; more information to come at chapter site.
Thursday, June 3 (Illinois-Missouri)
- 1-2 p.m. Effingham Daily News, Effingham, Ill. (staffers).
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. St. Louis SPJ pro chapter, St. Louis, Mo., Lucas Park Grille, 1234 Washington Ave., $10 for SPJ members, $12 for non-members. See chapter site for more information.
Friday, June 4 (Missouri)
11:30-1:30 Springfield SPJ pro chapter, Springfield, Mo., Midtown Carnegie Library, 2nd floor conference room, 397 East Central Street, free.
Saturday, June 5 (Wyoming)
- 12-4 p.m. Wyoming Tribune Eagle, Cheyenne, Wyo. (staffers)
Sunday, June 6 (Colorado)
- Day of travel and rest
Monday, June 7 (Colorado)
- 9-11 a.m. Colorado Springs Gazette, Colorado Springs, Colo. (staffers)
Tuesday, June 8 (Kansas-Oklahoma)
- 11:30-1 Kansas SPJ pro chapter, Wichita, Kansas, journalists in the area.
- 7-9 p.m. Oklahoma City SPJ pro chapter, Oklahoma City, Okla., The Oklahoman auditorium, 9000 N. Broadway, $10 for SPJ members, $20 for non-members. To register, see chapter site.
Wednesday, June 9 (New Mexico)
- 4:30-6:30 p.m. New Mexico SPJ pro chapter, Albuquerque, N.M., Uptown Sheraton Hotel, $10 for SPJ members, $5 for student chapter members, and $25 for non-members. See more information at chapter site.
Thursday, June 10 (New Mexico-Texas)
- 9-10:30 a.m. Belen-Socorro newspapers, Belen, N.M. (staffers)
- 4:30-6:30 p.m. New Mexico-Texas journalists, El Paso, Texas, Jaxons Restaurant, $10 for SPJ members, $5 for student chapter members, and $25 for non-members. See more information at chapthttp://www.nmspj.org/.
- Drive home to Tucson for finish
|Date||Start point||Mid-point||End point|
|Tue, April 27||Tucson||Casa Grande, Ariz.||Phoenix|
|Wed, April 28||Phoenix||El Centro, Calif.||San Diego|
|Thu, April 29||San Diego||Bakersfield|
|Fri, April 30||Bakersfield||Hanford, Calif.||San Francisco|
|Sat, May 1||San Francisco||San Francisco|
|Sun, May 2||San Francisco||Eugene, Ore.|
|Mon, May 3||Eugene, Ore.||Corvallis, Ore.||Portland, Ore.|
|Tue, May 4||Portland||Seattle||Yakima, Wash|
|Wed, May 5||Yakima, Wash.||Kennewick, Wash.||Spokane, Wash.|
|Thu, May 6||Spokane||Missoula|
|Fri, May 7||Missoula||Bozeman, Mont.||Cody, Wyo.|
|Sat, May 8||Cody, Wyo.||Rapid City, S.D.|
|Sun, May 9||Rapid City, S.D.||Sioux Falls, S.D.|
|Mon, May 10||Sioux Falls, S.D.||Marshall, Minn.||St. Cloud, Minn.|
|Tue, May 11||St. Cloud, Minn.||Minneapolis|
|Wed, May 12||Minneapolis||Lansing, Mich.|
|Thu, May 13||Lansing, Mich.||Owosso, Mich.||Detroit|
|Fri, May 14||Detroit||Findlay, Ohio||Louisville, Ky.|
|Sat, May 15||Louisville, Ky.||Lexington, Ky.|
|Sun, May 16||Lexington||Nashville|
|Mon, May 17||Nashville||Knoxville|
|Tue, May 18||Knoxville||Atlanta||Montgomery, Ala.|
|Date||Start point||Mid-point||End point|
|Wed, May 19||Montgomery, Ala.||Valdosta, Ga.||Tampa, Fla.|
|Thu, May 20||Tampa||Fort Lauderdale|
|Fri, May 21||Fort Lauderdale||Richmond, Va.|
|Sat, May 22||Richmond, Va.||D.C.|
|Sun, May 23||D.C.||D.C.|
|Mon, May 24||D.C.||D.C.|
|Tue, May 25||D.C.||West Virginia||Allentown, PA|
|Wed, May 26||Allentown, PA||New York City|
|Thu, May 27||New York City||Portland, Maine|
|Fri, May 28||Portland, Maine||Montpelier, Vt.||Scranton, Penn.|
|Sat, May 29||Scranton, Penn.||Scranton, Penn.|
|Sun, May 30||Scranton, Penn.||Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|Mon, May 31||Pittsburgh, Penn.||Cincinnati|
|Tue, June 1||Cincinnati||Cleveland|
|Wed, June 2||Cleveland||Indianapolis|
|Thu, June 3||Indianapolis||Effingham, Il.||Springfield, Mo.|
|Fri, June 4||Springfield, Mo.||North Platte, Neb.|
|Sat, June 5||North Platte, Neb.||Cheyenne, Wyo.|
|Sun, June 6||Cheyenne, Wyo.||Colorado Springs|
|Mon, June 7||Colorado Springs||Wichita, Kansas|
|Tue, June 8||Wichita||Oklahoma City|
|Wed, June 9||Oklahoma City||Albuquerque|
|Thu, June 10||Albuquerque||El Paso, Texas||Tucson|